There’s a lot to love about South Dakota, from the majestic Mount Rushmore to the rugged Badlands. If you’re looking for a vacation destination that offers something for everyone, South Dakota is hard to beat. The Corn Palace in Mitchell is one of the most unique tourist destinations in the country, and there’s no shortage of natural beauty to enjoy in this state. Whether you’re looking for outdoor adventure or simply want to relax and take in the scenery, South Dakota has something for you!
My time in South Dakota was unforgettable. I and a couple friends took a random road trip from Columbia, MO To Sioux Falls, SD, and then over to Mount Rushmore. We then proceeded into Wyoming and then Estes Park, CO before heading back. It was one of my all-time favorite road trips and is to this day. The views, parks, monuments, and everything in between that we were able to see made this trip great, that includes the dust storm we had to run from while low on gas in the middle of nowhere in Wyoming. While its been many years since I took this trip, I plan on going back in the near future because of how beautiful the trip was.
If you’re planning a trip to South Dakota, be sure to add these destinations to your list:
- Mount Rushmore National Monument: This iconic American landmark is a must-see for any visitor to South Dakota. Carved into the side of Mount Rushmore are the faces of four of our nation’s most important presidents: George Washington, Thomas Jefferson, Theodore Roosevelt, and Abraham Lincoln. A visit to Mount Rushmore is an unforgettable experience.
- The Badlands: South Dakota’s Badlands are unlike anything else on earth. This unique landscape is characterized by steep canyons, sharp cliffs, and towering rock formations. The Badlands offer visitors a chance to explore one of America’s most rugged and beautiful landscapes.
- The Corn Palace: The Corn Palace in Mitchell is a South Dakota landmark that celebrates the state’s agricultural heritage. This unique structure is covered in murals made entirely of corn, and it’s truly a sight to behold. If you’re looking for a fun and unusual tourist destination, the Corn Palace is definitely worth a visit.
- Custer State Park: South Dakota’s Custer State Park is one of the most beautiful places in the state. This 71,000-acre park features rolling hills, forests, lakes, and wildlife galore. Visitors can enjoy hiking, camping, fishing, and much more in this scenic setting.
- Crazy Horse Memorial: The Crazy Horse Memorial is a massive mountain carving currently in progress in the Black Hills of South Dakota. When completed, it will be the world’s largest sculpture, and it will depict the Native American leader Crazy Horse on his horse. The memorial is an impressive sight even in its unfinished state, and it’s definitely worth a visit.
Whatever your vacation plans may be, South Dakota is sure to have something that will make your trip unforgettable. So what are you waiting for? Start planning your South Dakota vacation today!